My Little Corner of the Net

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Remembering Dougless

Dougless Strickland Bitler

I came across some correspondence that I had with Dougless and thought I would post it.
Dougless was a regular contributer to Miniature Collector Magazine and I was a little sad to read of her death last month.  I first corresponded with her in September of 2006 after finding an old dollhouse in a local antique store and trying to figure out its age and value.

I became a fan of hers after receiving a beautifully hand written note with lots of information and advice and later my question and her response were publised in Miniature Collector Magazine in February 2007 in her monthly column.  I have posted her letter below.

Here are some pictures of the house, which is currently home to my 3/4" scale Strombecker Collection.



 



 

As it turns out, I found out the unmarked house is from 1946-47.  After doing some research, I found it in a catalog.  It is called: 4-ROOM JAYLENE HOUSE and sold for $22.05. 
The house is constructed of masonite and wood and measures 24" X 8" X 16".  The Jayline Toy company was located in Philadelphia PA.

 

  

 


Here is a scan of the her article:

 

Her contributions, advice, articles and humor will be missed.



1 comment:

  1. Such a priceless memory for you. I love what Dougless said about "the has its own value system." I wholeheartedly agree!
    Now I know who is lurking with me on vintage Ebay!
    I'm just looking right now but very interested in these "old" houses and furniture. :D

    ReplyDelete